Discussion: Black Abortion Billboard Racist Or Honest?
I received a tweet asking why aren’t black blogs talking about a billboard erected by a pro-life organization called Thats Abortion.
If I talk you may not want to hear what I have to say, although I don’t agree with the use of race, let’s deal with the reality of the statement. Why are black women having abortion at a significantly higher rate that other races?
Pro-Life advocates raise a valid point, that abortions seem to target minority in poor communities at a faster rater than any other subgroup. I don’t know if I’m pro-life or pro-choice anymore, but I do know that anything that kills black babies at such a high rate needs to be examined and reformed. I use to be pro-choice until I read the statistics, and now I’m just shocked and don’t know what to think. I don’t judge anyone and I’m not in a position to judge anyone who has had to make such a painful decision. I just wish there were better ways to prevent them in the first place. Therefore I am an advocate of safe sex education and abstinence if you can. Perhaps the reason black women choose this route is due inadequate support, but with Conservatives cutting every social program to aid the dispossessed, what other options do some these women have?
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) whose numbers IMO are more reliable than these pro-life blogs:
- ~In 2006, 846,181 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC from 49 reporting areas. (nearly a million babies)
- ~Women aged 20–29 years accounted for the majority of abortions at 57%
- ~A higher number of abortions were obtained by white women and unmarried women
- ~Adolescents aged 15–19 years accounted for 16.5% of all abortions in 2006
- ~62.0% of abortions in 2006 were performed at less than or equal to 8 weeks’ gestation
- ~Black women accounted for 36.4% of all abortions (Remember black women only account for 12% of the population)
- ~Black women had higher abortion rates and ratios than white women and women of any other races
- ~83.5% of all women obtaining abortions were unmarried
- ~District of Columbia 52% of abortions are by black women; Atlanta, Georgia 57%;
- ~Christian women account for large majority of abortions: Protestants 37.4%; Catholic women 31.3%; Born-again/Evangelical (the Conservatives) 18%
- 22% pregnancies end in abortion
Again I ask you: Is The Black Abortion Billboard Racist Or Honest?
- FYI – U.S. Abortions Hit 40 Year Low; Lowest Rate Since 1973
- Emotional Sherri Shepherd Admits To Multiple Abortions On The View…
- Discussion: Asian Men Don’t Like Black Women Because Black Women Are Not Good Women