Guess Topshop didn’t dot their “I”s and cross their “T”s before going forward with this shirt. But BBC News is reporting that Rihanna has won a ban against clothing retailer Topshop for using a photograph of her on a t-shirt. It only took the judge two minutes to come up with a judgement. Wow.
The photograph used by Topshop had been taken during filming of a music video in Northern Ireland in 2011. In a two-minute judgment, Mr Justice Birss said there was “no such thing as a general right by a famous person to control the reproduction of their image”. “The taking of the photograph is not suggested to have breached Rihanna’s privacy,” he continued. ”The mere sale by a trader of a T-shirt bearing an image of a famous person is not an act of passing off. However, I find that Topshop’s sale of this T-shirt was an act of passing off.”
No word on whether Topshop will have to come out of pocket for any monetary liability but I doubt that Rihanna will be wearing any of their clothing anymore, as she did in the past.
- Rihanna Forgot To Wear Something Underneath
- Is Rihanna Trying Too Hard? Rihanna Red Hair, Really?!?
- Draya Michelle Will Keep Karrueche Company While Chris Brown Reunites With Rihanna…
- Does Alicia Keys Take A Jab At Rihanna in Elle Magazine’s July Issue?
- Rihanna Tells Parents Council: “I’m A Rock Star; Not A Parent”