Ever since it was announced that Zoe Saldana was taking over the lead spot from Mary J Blige to play Nina Simone in a biopic, there’s been a lot of negative reactions. Blogs written, petitions signed, comments made, slander thrown. And the couple of pictures that surfaced with Zoe wearing a prosthetic nose piece and dark makeup didn’t do much to stop it. But now Zoe Saldana is speaking out herself, pleading for Nina Simone fans to just let her try, according to The UK’s Daily Express.
“If Elizabeth Taylor could play Cleopatra, if Diana Ross can play Billie Holiday, if Denzel Washington can play Malcolm (X) and Meryl Streep can play the Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher)… the only thing I ask is to be given a chance to play Nina Simone.
“If at the end, you watch the movie and don’t like it, then OK, but at least you saw it.”
I feel her. I mean, there’s a lot of actors who have portrayed people in movies that I necessarily wouldn’t have agreed with so this isn’t the first, nor is it the last. (I mean, Beyoncé Knowles as Etta James? Even Etta wasn’t feeling it.) And Zoe has had a number of different types of roles over the years so it’s not like it’s not possible she’ll pull it off. How do you feel about it? This Zoe should get a chance or is there no way for her to make this work?
- She Mad!! India.Arie BLASTS Zoe Saldana Over Nina Simone Role
- Zoe Saldana Replaces Mary J. Blige In Nina Simone Biopic
- Check Out The Transformed Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone
- 69th Annual Golden Globes: Idris Elba, Paula Patton, Mary J Blige, Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis
- 84th Academy Awards: Viola Goes Natural; Esperanza Spalding Charms; Silence Speaks Volume; Octavia Spencer WINS!!!